Howdy!/rpm-3.0.4/mol-0.9.48

Subject: Howdy!/rpm-3.0.4/mol-0.9.48
From: Michael A. Peters (Moonglue@141.com )
Date: Sun Aug 06 2000 - 20:38:55 MDT

Howdy!
Been using Linux since MKLinux DR3, and YellowDog at work since last
week... so I thought subscribing to the list would be beneficial.

Some of you undoubtedly know me from the LinuxPPC-user list or
max-list@mail.maclaunch.com (formerly max@lowendmac.net)

I've got one question, and two things to offer. First the offer-

I've got customized rpm's for rpm-3.0.4 and mol-0.9.48

The rpm-3.0.4 rpm I originally built for my own system (Linux from
Scratch) but I bought an iMac to use to port a project I'm working on
at work to YellowDog Linux.

I did not like the RPM that YD C.S. 1.2 installed. I could handle
/usr/src/rpm oposed to /usr/src/redhat- but what got me is that it
automagically gzipped man pages, and most spec files (including ours
that I was porting) don't specify man pages as gzipped- hence the RPM
fails to be created at the last step.

With my RPM-3.0.4 it acts exactly like Red Hat's RPM, so you can go
to Red Hats site (or anywhere) and download a src.rpm and have a damn
good chance of it building w/o needing to change the spec file to
reflect gzipped man pages.

the mol-0.9.48 differs from what you can get from mol's homepage in
that it installs a script into /etc/rc.d/init.d for loading the mol.o
and sheep_net.o modules at boot.

Because I build kernels with low-level mol support and I have a page
on tcp/ip masquerading with mol, I get asked ALL THE TIME why when
they try to start mol they get kernel/module mismatch errors.

The answer is because the mol.o and sheep_net.o modules are built for
whatever kernel happened to be running when the mol rpm was built-
and its not a big deal, 'cause they will still load with the insmod
-f option.

The init script that my mol rpm installs does just that- so that when
you change kernels, mol will still work.

both my rpm and mol rpm's are available at
http://24.5.29.77/Linux_Pages/some_rpms.shtml

-=-=-=-=-
OK- now the question. I also build kernel rpms. After installing YD
C.S. 1.2 on the iMac I bought (Rev B) I decided upgrade the kernel to
my 2.2.17pre13

The kernel rpm complained that it couldn't install because some file
(I forget which one) that apparently was part of YD's kernel rpm
install was needed by kernelcfg package.

So I just uninstalled kernelcfg (nothing needed it) and then
installed my kernel.

What is kernelcfg? What does it do? If its a really useful package,
I'll have to see about making my kernel rpms YellowDog compliant...

Thanks!

(cc'd to max list)

Michael A. Peters-- http://24.5.29.77/Linux_Pages/
                                http://www.omnilinux.com/