Re: Many total newbie problems on AGP G4

Subject: Re: Many total newbie problems on AGP G4
From: Daniel Gimpelevich (Daniel_Gimpelevich@compuserve.com)
Date: Sat Aug 12 2000 - 03:36:31 MDT

> From: Hollis Blanchard <hollis@amulet.co.jp>
> Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 14:48:42 +0900
> To: yellowdog-general@lists.yellowdoglinux.com
> Subject: Re: Many total newbie problems on AGP G4
>

> Daniel Gimpelevich wrote:
>>
>> I upgraded the kernel (kernal?) from 2.2.15-2.9.0 to 2.2.15pre19, and not
>> having seen the updated faq_solutions page, installed the RPMs from
>> dev.linuxppc.org over the existing XFree86 WITHOUT first uninstalling the
>> old RPMs. Now Xconfiguator won't run, even after I updated the symlink named
>> "X" so I'm stuck with one screen depth and resolution...
>
> I can't find the directions you're referring to.. do you mean the iMac DV
> part?

Yes. On the http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/faq_solutions.shtml page.
I had also forgone the xkb.tgz step. What kind of harm have I done?

> Where did you get this 2.2.15pre19 kernel from, and why did you choose it?
> That's a bit old... and will likely still have issues with your GMAC etheret
> iirc.

I got it from Paul Mackerras's because it's the latest precompiled kernel in
his stable tree. I did not want to reconceive my /dev tree, so I didn't get
BenH's kernel. BTW, could YDL somehow grok with a machine running MacOS 7.55
using AppleTalk over Ethernet WITHOUT using TCP/IP???

> Are you saying you installed the dev rpm listed on BenH's page, but you're
> using an old kernel? That's likely the problem. Try using the latest
> precompiled kernel listed on his page.

Like I said, I didn't do the /dev deal. How's the BenH kernel's handling of
the AGP G4 and XFree4? How does it compare to the version 2.2.17-0.6.1 found
at ftp://c3po.terraplex.com/pub/updates/kernel/ and what would be the pros
and cons of one over the other?

>> The modules for 2.2.15pre19 don't include one named "dmasound" so the
>> modprobe line doesn't work. However, ASCII 7 and the internal modem do make
>> sound, albeit much quieter than in the MacOS...
>
> That probably means dmasound is compiled into your kernel rather than as a
> seperate module. So it automatically works, and no modprobing is necessary.

This actually came to my attn when the boot process initially barfed at the
line I put in /etc/conf.modules; is that consistent with your hypothesis?

>> Opening the RedHat dialer crashes the machine and I have to press the
>> triangle button to force-reboot. BTW, what's the Linux equivalent of the
>> 3-finger salute? I have tried Cmd-Ctrl-Power, Alt-Ctrl-Delete,
>> Cmd-Ctrl-Delete, Alt-Ctrl-Power, Alt-Cmd-Power, Alt-Cmd-Delete,
>> Alt-Cmd-Ctrl-Delete, and Alt-Cmd-Ctrl-Power to no avail...
>
> That's very unusual... if you're sure it's a crash (can you ping the machine
> from another computer?) I would recommend a recent kernel.

I know it's a crash because the screen buffer goes kablooey and USB goes
dead. I can't get the 3-finger salute to work then or at any other time.

>> Kppp connects successfully, but then launches pppd, which refuses to
>> recognize the connection...
>
> PPP problems are usual, but I'm afraid I can't help there.

Well, the RH dialer thing could be considered a PPProblem...

>> Opening Linux in single-user mode (in both 2.2.15-2.9.0 and 2.2.15pre19)
>> makes it unresponsive to keyboard and mouse input, so I have to
>> force-reboot...
>
> Yes, this is an unfortunate side-effect of the way USB is handled. Iow, USB
> isn't handled in single user mode.

Ugh! That is positively disgusting!

>> Has anyone gotten mol to work on an AGP G4 with XFree4? The stock version of
>> mol complained that my upgraded kernel (kernal?) was too new and refused to
>> run, so I upgraded to the latest mol. Now it complains that the kernel is
>> too old and refuses to run...
>
> You should probably post exact error messages and version numbers to the MOL
> list (www.maconlinux.com)...

I'll see what happens with a newer kernel. Also, I've since seen another msg
on this list that deals specifically with this very issue -- may be helpful.

>> The Caps Lock LED never lights up under Linux, but works under MacOS. Could
>> this be because I chose mac-us-std instead of mac-us-ext under keyboard type
>> when installing? I have the original Apple USB Keyboard...
>
> Yes, I think caps lock still isn't quite working under Linux USB. This isn't
> a keymap issue though.

Caps Lock and Num Lock function as expected; just the light doesn't work.

>> I was put off by the changes in 3-button mouse emulation, so I bought a
>> Logitech FirstMouse. Has anyone given any thought to somehow making the
>> scrolling wheel do _something_ under Linux?
>
> Yes, I just put this up at
> http://www.penguinppc.org/usr/xf4/wheeliemouse.php3. It's very cool.
>
> -Hollis

Way cool!! Thanx, I'll check it out. -DG

--
"No gnu's is good gnu's."   --Gary Gnu, "The Great Space Coaster"