Re: Yup update mismatched kernel and modules

Subject: Re: Yup update mismatched kernel and modules
From: Hollis R Blanchard (hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2000 - 13:37:42 MDT

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, William K. Gibson wrote:

> on 8/23/00 11:27 AM, Charles Stevenson at csteven@terraplex.com wrote:
>
> > Have you rebooted since the update? IIRC you need to reboot after the kernel
> > upgrade to load the new kernel, with it's respective set of modules (is there
> > an ioctl for this?).
>
> Yes, I did not notice the problem until after the reboot when the dmasound
> module failed to load. So I am still wondering what is going on.

The problem is that you are still using your old kernel (which is probably
sitting on an HFS partition somewhere) which was unaffected by the yup-induced
"kernel upgrade". However, the modules were affected as usual with rpm
upgrades: the old modules were deleted and then the new modules were
installed. So your modules were updated but your kernel was not. Please find
the rpm-installed kernel (probably /boot/vmlinux; check with 'rpm -ql' to be
sure) and copy it to wherever you boot from.

-Hollis