Re: PHP4 again

Subject: Re: PHP4 again
From: Hollis R Blanchard (hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Sun Aug 27 2000 - 11:37:41 MDT

On Sun, 27 Aug 2000, Kevin Heflin wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Aug 2000, Corbin M. Harris wrote:
> >
> > If
> > anyone has any ideas on how to install PHP4 on YellowDog I would appreciate
> > your feedback.

[snip]

> args = orig_args;
> 4. Replace the whole line (line 370) by:
> memcpy(args, orig_args, sizeof(orig_args));

This patch is wrong. The correct patch uses va_copy, not memcpy. Please check
the linuxppc-dev list archives (iirc) for the right fix.

This one may "work on my machine" but the right fix is so trivial that
there's no reason not to use it. And by using the wrong fix it encourages
future users to ignore va_copy and friends, which are important for
portability.

-Hollis