Re: require root passwd for single user mode login?

Subject: Re: require root passwd for single user mode login?
From: Hollis R Blanchard (hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 17:53:47 MDT

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Kyle Wheeler wrote:

> At 9:50 AM -0400 8/29/00, Hollis R Blanchard wrote:
> >I actually found out the reason for this. The idea is that if they're at
> >console, they can shut it down anyways. And 'halt' is clearly a better
> >solution than pulling the plug.
>
> I suppose - but that's only if it's a standard computer in someone's
> office. What if it's a computer that's part of a kiosk (or something
> similar) where physically disconnecting power is much more difficult?

As I should have written in my original mail (but others have touched on
since), in such situations you should change it. Red Hat Linux isn't
appropriate for Mars landers either; if you have special needs then you
could either modify it yourself or find a more appropriate distribution (and
usually a combination of both).

-Hollis