Re: another question about my 6400/180 and YDL 2.0...

Subject: Re: another question about my 6400/180 and YDL 2.0...
From: Brian Watson (bcwatso1@uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Aug 12 2001 - 23:01:40 MDT

>you guys said to use system 8.6 but on the apple site it says my machine
>(performa 6400/180) only supports up to system 8.0. Whats the deal? Is the
>site just not upgraded, if so how high can I go?
>

>Court

I have a 6500/300 running OS 9.1 in conjunction with YDL 2.0, which
is basically the exact same model as your computer (both use the
603ev). I believe Apple only supported through 8.6 originally when
OS 9 came out but then later added support for OS 9. OS 7.1.3-9.1
should work fine with your computer. Eventually, you'll be able to
use OS X on that machine, because utilities are being made. (It's
probably possible to do it if you're really good at tweaking with
your system/open firmware??) However, Apple will probably never have
officially support OS X on the older machines. :)

--Brian