Re: More security...

Subject: Re: More security...
From: Michael Tucker (mtucker@eecs.harvard.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2001 - 07:22:16 MDT

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Paul J. Lucas wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, Brian Watson wrote:
>
> > 1) Is there a way to find out when a user has last been fingered?
>
> No.

 I'm not sure if things are different on YDL, but I have found on Digital
Unix that you can find out when you were last fingered by setting up a
.plan (and/or .project) file and looking at the access date. To set up a
plan, you need to make a file ".plan" in your home directory and set the
permissions accordingly (chmod 644 .plan). Then, to check the access date
I use "ls -lu .plan", it works on Digital Unix so YMMV with YDL.

> > 2) Is there a way to turn off fingering for a user, or not have it
> > reveal any extensive information?
>
> Turn all fingering off by commenting out the line in inetd.conf
> and HUPing inetd.
>
> - Paul

As for turning off fingering for one user, you probably need to replace
the YDL finger package with a different one. I'm not sure what's
available, but I know that some universities have their system's set up to
allow users to run a "nofinger" script that will hide their
information. Sorry I don't have any other details, I just use the system,
not run it :)

Mike