PPP kernel 2.4.x?

Subject: PPP kernel 2.4.x?
From: Aake Svensson (aakesve@algonet.se)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 03:36:46 MDT

Hi again!

Without this forum I would be totally lost! Hope you guys can bare
with a bit longer?

Now, I have ppp problems with kernel 2.4.8 on a PPC7600/132Mhz/144
RAM, two disks - one for MacOS and one 3 GB for YDL2.0 full
install(everything without caffeine)- 16 MB boot, 288 MB SWAP
partitions.

  What I've done so far is:

* Tried several compilations of kernel 2.4.8 -1 kernel with
"standard" ppp built in- 1 with all ppp alternatives built in - 1
with ppp alternatives as modules. All kernel variations work well
except for ppp!
*FInally I found ppp-2.4.1-b1 and succesfully made ./configure ,
make, make install seemingly without any glitches - no error reports!
And since this install only installs the user invoked modules I
thought it would work on a 2.4.8 kernel !?
*Read all previous mails in this forum concering ppp from YDL2.0
introduction and tried './MAKEDEV ppp' in /dev/ - doesn't help me.
*Reading up on ppp-configuration - "PPP-How to", ISP-Hookup etc etc -
found at Google etc - and tried writing chatscript in /etc/ppp/ and
"isp" script in /etc/ppp/peers/
* Trying 'pppd' only. at the command line produces garbled lines of
text until the prompt comes back again.
*Trying exactly to write scripts as recommended in the pppd man page
and running "pppd call 'script' " only gets me back to the prompt
without any delay and/or messages.
* dmesg after bootup tells me that PPP 2.4.1 is loaded and also "ppp_deflate"
*If the garbled text produced with the 'pppd' only command would be
readable it would probably state that "The kernel lacks support for
ppp or ppp modules aren't loaded" - although dmesg tells me they are.
At least it did before I made './MAKEDEV ppp'.
*I have had contact with the external modem on ttyS0 - and it seems
I've compiled support for serial ports into the kernel on boot up.

What can be recommended for this? Should I try kernel 2.4.9? Should i
reinstall Linux completely? Or get another ppp-rpm?

If more information is needed like error messages and the like, I
will gladly forward whatever you need.

Regards,

Aake Svensson. again