Re: Unable to compile kernel 2.4.8.

Subject: Re: Unable to compile kernel 2.4.8.
From: John Norair (splinemodel@mac.com)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2001 - 12:42:03 MDT

If nobody sends you a .config (I would, but I use neither 2.4.8 nor an
iMac), try the following:

Step 1: It will take some time, but just go around in menuconfig and get
help on everything in question. Include what you would like, etc.

make dep, make vmlinux.

Step 2: move your mouse around a bit during the process so the screen
won't go blank. I don't think the blanking has any effect, but it might.

Step 3: If there's an error message (i.e. the kernel won't compile) take
note of it and go back to the menuconfig. eliminate the source that's
giving the error.

You say you're a newbie, so I'm not expecting much. Perhaps you've done
this part already -- I have no way of knowing. I've been running into a
ton of trouble with kernel compiling for 2.4.7, but after much trial and
error I got it to compile with sacrificing only NTFS support. (Some of
the other stuff I substituted)

Good luck,
John Norair

On Monday, August 27, 2001, at 01:47 PM, Jose M. wrote:

> Hi all!:
>
> sorry but I'm unable to run kernel 2.4.8 on my iMac (I dont
> know Rev. it
> was buyed in march and is a 500 PowerPC with CD-RW), the problem is to
> select support for the ATI card and frame buffer....
>
> I've tried to compile and run many times it, but screen becomes black
> and I'm unable to continue, I was able to se logo one time but I lost
> the
> changes on .config.
>
> Please, could anybody send me a .config file ready to compile
> kernel for
> my machine, It would be very useful for a "newbie" like me.
>
> Here I send my current "./configure" file to help on detecting the
> problem.
> --
> Regards.
> .-
> -.-.-.-.-.-
> 'First they ignore you. Then they laugh at
> you. Then they fight you. Then you win.' Evidently, we are
> getting close to winning." Gandhi
>
> Visit http://www.valux.org
> Jose M. Laveda
> josemanuel@valux.org