Re: XFree86-4.0.1 & ati - getting close

Subject: Re: XFree86-4.0.1 & ati - getting close
From: Stefan Jeglinski (jeglin@4pi.com)
Date: Sun Dec 17 2000 - 22:22:29 MST

OK, I'm real close on this. I had to switch to input layer to make progress.

What works for me is to compile a kernel for USB mouse and keyboard,
then in devices set input layer to ADB and then also set to raw key
codes. then set the mouse type to IMPS/2 and set /dev/mouse ->
/dev/input/mice, then set sysctl.conf to read (in part):

# Enables new keycodes on PPC
dev.mac_hid.keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes = 0
# Enables 3-button mouse emulation on PPC
dev.mac_hid.mouse_button_emulation = 1
# Definition for 2nd mouse button
dev.mac_hid.mouse_button2_keycode = 59
# Definition for 3rd mouse button
dev.mac_hid.mouse_button3_keycode = 60

With this, and removing the 'Load "v4l"' line in the Module section
of /etc/XFConfig-4, X will launch and not die and I have some control
of the mouse buttons.

Question: why do I need to go create the input layer and pretend I
have a USB mouse to get my ADB mouse to work right?????????????

Aside from that totally illogical requirement, my -only- problem now
is that when I open a terminal in X, the keymap is wrong. I think
this has recently been hashed out on the linuxppc-user list but I
tossed all those thinking they wouldn't apply to me. Heh.

So, anybody want to save me the trouble of scanning the recent
postings over there? What XF86Config-4 lines to I change to get the
keymap right *in X only*.

Stefan Jeglinski