Re: slightly Off-Topic: MacOS upgrade 8.5 to ???

Subject: Re: slightly Off-Topic: MacOS upgrade 8.5 to ???
From: Chris Ruprecht (chrup@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Dec 26 2001 - 09:41:45 MST

Bob,

The upgrade to 8.6 should be ok and you don't have to spend any extra
money on it. If you want to upgrade to 9.1, you have to buy the MacOS
9 CD and it's not worth it, if you want it just for a game. If you
have a new world machine, the upgrade on the MacOS side might
eliminate the dual boot setup, but you can re-establish that using
the OF setup as described in the YDL Install Guide.

As to Memory on your machine: The memory is ok to run MacOS X, so is
the drive and the speed. But OS X is not upwards compatible with OS 9
and the games your kids want to play are likely not to work under OS
X anyway. You would have to run 'Classic', which would be at least
9.1 under OS X, and that's kind of defeating the object. My opinion
is: If you don't have a reason to run OS X - or applications for it,
then, run OS 9 and/or Linux instead.

Best regards,
Chris