Re: Farallon 10/100 the answer?

Subject: Re: Farallon 10/100 the answer?
From: Jeff Tupholme (jeff.tupholme@openmethods.com)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 14:24:54 MST

Thanks for this very useful information.

I have set up eth1 (Farallon NetLINE 10/100 PCI PN993-TX) using a fixed IP
address (the machine doesn't seem too happy under either Linux or MacOS
using DHCP) and can now see eth0, eth1 & lo in ifconfig. route also looks
good. However, that's as far as it goes!

In more detail, I have eth0 = 10.0.1.240 and eth1 = 10.0.2.241. The two
ports are connected to separate segments of my network that I have set up
for testing purposes (i.e., 10.0.1.* and 10.0.2.*).

I can happily ping other machines on 10.0.1.*; eth0 is automatically
selected according to the route data. However, pinging 10.0.2.* machines
doesn't work. eth1 is selected properly (i.e., 10.0.2.241 is shown in the
ping feedback), but no echoes come back. Likewise, I can't ping to
10.0.2.241 from other machines on that segment.

In fact, the lights don't even come on either on the card or the hub!

There is no problem using the card from MacOS so I know this is not a
hardware problem. I am mystified that Linux recognises the card during
boot, can 'bring it up', can accept my configuration, but can then fail so
completely to actually use it! Is it normal to get this far and still not
be able to succeed?

Thanks for any advice,

Jeff

P.S., I have found linuxconf very poor on YDL CS 1.2 on PPC. Maybe I am
using it wrongly but it doesn't seem to remember config changes!

Jeff Tupholme, Open Methods Limited

email: jeff.tupholme@openmethods.com
AIM: jefftupholme
mobile: +44 (0)7973 172626