Re: Printing on a networked HP Printer

Subject: Re: Printing on a networked HP Printer
From: Richard Petty (techie@austin.rr.com)
Date: Sun Feb 25 2001 - 00:10:32 MST

I just set up a new HP LaserJet 2100TN last night. I wasted too much time
assuming that it would be difficult to get going on Linux. I got it working
fine with my Yellow Dog system when I simply treated the printer like it
was attached to another Linux box.

I opened the printer configuration in the "control-panel" as root. I then
set up a new Remote Linux (lpd) Queue Entry:

Name: DeskJet (can be anything)
Remote Host: 192.168.0.1 (whatever your printer is set to)
Remote Queue: DeskJet

I selected the "HP LaserJet 4 - dithered" input filter using the "Select"
button.

It works great. I don't have all the configurability that HP's remote admin
apps give Macintosh and Windows users, but the output looks great to me.

--Richard