Re: iMac internal modem

Subject: Re: iMac internal modem
From: Matthieu Amiguet (matthieu.amiguet@unine.ch)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 04:09:51 MST

On Tuesday, 5 February 2002 12.00, Graham Leggett wrote:
> Matthieu Amiguet wrote:
> > Before, I used a LinuxPPC distro and the modem worked on /dev/modem,
> > symlinked to /dev/ttyS0, which was a char device 4, 64. But this config
> > doesn't work now...
> > Thank you for any help; it has to work soon or I will most probably
> > switch to another distro...
>
> Er... why not just switch to another kernel?

Well, why not? but I need a 2.4 one to use my usb burner, and I was using a
2.2.x before...
I'm now using the 2.4 of the YDL 2.0 distribution. I could of course use
another one... but I don't know which! can anybody indicate me one that would
work? (and how to install it if it's not in a .rpm package...)

> Most of the problems experiences with peripherals not working are
> because the required kernel drivers are either missing, or they don't
> work for whatever reason. The solution is to simply switch to a kernel
> that does work. If the LinuxPPC distro kernel worked for you, why not
> just use that? You really don't need to change entire distributions to
> solve driver problems...

Yeah, that's right in theory... but when you're not an expert, you look for a
distribution that has the maximum working out of the box...

Matthieu