Re: Sound on PBG3 FireWire w/ YDL 2.1

Subject: Re: Sound on PBG3 FireWire w/ YDL 2.1
From: Neill Miller (neillm@thecodefactory.org)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 18:14:43 MST

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002 01:23:02 -0000
"Dan Cook" <inundata@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I've already tried things like using aumix, cat [bigfile] > /etc/dsp,
> running esd, killing and then running esd.

Hello Dan,
        I'll take a stab at this because I haven't had any problems with sound on my Pismo. However, since I run a heavily modified version of YDL 2.0, there may be other issues with YDL 2.1 that I'm not aware of. First guess - make sure the proper sound module is loaded.

Assuming you're using the dmasound_pmac module, make sure you have the following lines in a file called /etc/modules.conf

alias sound-slot-0 dmasound_pmac
alias sound-slot-1 dmasound_pmac
alias sound-service-0-0 dmasound_pmac
alias sound-service-0-3 dmasound_pmac
alias sound-service-1-0 dmasound_pmac

You can see which modules are loaded by typing "lsmod". You should see something like "dmasound_pmac" if it's loaded properly. Otherwise, try manually loading the module by typing "modprobe dmasound_pmac". (Personally, I always compile sound/OSS/100% soundblaster compatible options into the kernel, and it always just works nicely, so it's been a while since I've messed with this).

If the module is already loaded and sound still does not work properly, you can try to remove it by typing "rmmod dmasound_pmac" and then re-loading it by typing "modprobe dmasound_pmac" again (and checking to make sure using "lsmod" that is was actually re-loaded). When you start esd, you should hear the startup sound it makes - although I don't use it much personally.

If you're still not having any luck, kill the esd process ("killall -9 esd"), reload the sound module, and try configuring XMMS to use OSS sound output (Options-->Preferences-->Output Plugin) instead of eSound and see if that works.

Also, try adjusting the volume and speaker slider bars in "gmix" - making sure neither are muted.

Let us know where you're at after trying that.

hope that helps,
-Neill.

--
http://www.thecodefactory.org/neillm