RE: iMac running a little slow with YDL

Subject: RE: iMac running a little slow with YDL
From: Isak Lyberth (ily@cip-global.com)
Date: Sun Feb 17 2002 - 14:00:30 MST

I can say that i have the same problem, running on the same machine.
What i do to improve the speed is change the window manager to IceWM. Im
still trying to stop the daily updatedb thing.
Stop as many services as posible.
I don't know if its good to convert the filesystem to a journaling one, but
definetly worth a try.
I recompile the kernel to make it smaller (of course the newest one, as
there are a few ppc updates everytime), add the preemptive patch, it helps).
I would like to upgrade XFree to 4.2 but i don't know how, and so i don't
know if it helps.

i got some tips from here: http://users.netwit.net.au/~pursang/lofat.html

Regards Isak