Re: 2.4 Kernel & Xfree-4.0.1

Subject: Re: 2.4 Kernel & Xfree-4.0.1
From: Neil Jolly (njolly@home.com)
Date: Wed Jan 24 2001 - 08:24:00 MST

> Neil Jolly wrote:
>
> >I've compiled the 2.4 kernel with support for rage 128 & 64 (among
other
> >things), the kernel boots into runlevel 3 alright, but as soon as i
startx or
> >change to runlevel 5 the screen blanks and the system appears to
freeze
> >(haven't tried sshing in from anywhere yet).
>

> Have you tried doing Cmd-Ctrl-F1 to get back to the console after the
> system "appears to freeze"?
Yeah I tried that as well, and can't even get back to a console.

> I have a similar problem, only from the opposite end and not all
> the time (in fact, it hasn't happened at all recently) -- the system
> appears to hang, on occasion, when I log out of an X session. I can
> flip back to console 1, log in, and kill the kdm process. This seems
> to give X the slap upside the head that it needs, and I'll get the
> login screen.
>
> Even switching to the text console, then back to the X screen, is
> sometimes enough to wake it up.
>

> In your case, you may find that your computer hasn't crashed &
> the console screen has a list of errors that an expert like Ani
> or some of the others can use to determine what's going wrong.
>

> >Anybody know if I have to run Xfree 4.0.2 or some such
> >thing. X works great under 2., and there are no
> >errors in the log either. The log just ends partway through.
>
> By "under 2." I assume you meant kernel 2.2.x? At least you have
> a good fallback position. :-) Post your hardware info, and be
> ready to hand out your 2.4 .config file to someone who knows what
> they're doing (that's not me). It may be something as simple as
> disabling framebuffer support during the config.

Sorry about that. It's supposed to read the 2.2.18 kernel. I'd be happy
to hand out my .config from the 2.4 kernel, and my XF86Config to any one
who has an idea of what might be the problem.
> Larry

"Computers let you make more mistakes faster than any other
invention in human history, with the possible exception of
handguns and tequila."

                   Mitch Radcliffe

Neil Jolly
http://www.members.home.net/njolly/xppc/index.htm