Re: Can I run YDL headless?

Subject: Re: Can I run YDL headless?
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Jan 05 2002 - 14:13:45 MST

At 11:37 AM -0500 1/5/02, John Nelson wrote:
>I looked at quik but assumed this was for New World Macs only...

No, it's actually for PCI Old World Macs and some other Open Firmware
platforms. New World Macs use yaboot instead.

Here's a working quik.conf for a PowerBook 2400 I run which has
nothing but Linux on it. The disk has three partitions: #1 is the
Mac partition map, #2 is the swap, #3 is Linux root.

init-code = "dev /bandit/ohare/via-pmu backlight-on"

partition = 3
device = ata0/ata-disk@0

root = /dev/hda3

timeout = 50

image = /boot/vmlinux
         label = linux
         alias = l

The init-code line is unnecessary and undesirable on non-PowerBooks.
It turns the backlight on so you can see the boot menu.

On some models, getting quik working may be difficult. You don't
really have to use it to accomplish your goals, as long as you don't
mind having a token minimal MacOS partition. It's easy to set up the
extension form of BootX and configure it to default to Linux rather
than MacOS.

--
Tim Seufert