Re: kernel argument values for YDL2.1 / Wallstreet 233

Subject: Re: kernel argument values for YDL2.1 / Wallstreet 233
From: Gordon Neault (gordo-x@shaw.ca)
Date: Sun Jan 06 2002 - 08:57:56 MST

Some basic info about vmodes (video modes)
This refers to the color depth (bits per pixel)
vmode:8 8bit color 256 colors
vmode:15 16bit color 16K colors
vmode:16 16bit color
vmode:24 24bit color millions
vmode:32 24 bit color

Generally you will see references to 8, 16 and 24 bit color. In some
cases that's what you use to specify color depth.
However, a color depth must be dividable by 3; therefore 16 bit color is
actually 15 bit. Sometimes you have to be specific (15) and sometimes
the video settting assumes convention (name it 16) but actually sets the
"correct" value (ie depths called 16 bit are actually set at 15 bit).
32 bit is really 24 bit color, again sometimes 32 (naming convention)
will work and sometimes you need to name it correctly (24). Sometimes it
really doesn't matter (eg either 24 or 32 work equally as well).

I don't run Linux on a LCD screen or a powerbook; I understand some
video arguments use non-standard settings for video depth on these
machines. Having said that, I would keep to settings that are either
standard (8,15,16,24,32) or one specifically mentioned as a solution to
your particular machine (like G4 powerbooks) rather than just trying
numbers more or less at random.