Re: netatalk can't unregister

Subject: Re: netatalk can't unregister
From: Srihan M. De Livera (sridel@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 14:50:29 MST

Keary Suska:

Armed with your answer to my earlier question, I show no occurrences of
atalkd, and afpd. However, I do see an occurrence of papd, even though at
this point I have not configured netatalk for apple printing (although, that
would be my next project).

Having said that, I have more clues:

When I punch in:
# /usr/sbin/atalkd

I get:
atalkd: zero interfaces, existing.

After starting atalk, it appears in
#ls /var/lock/subsys/atalk

and when I stop atalk and check back in #ls /var/lock/subsys/, atalk goes
away.

The most interesting clue, and the one that begs agreement with what you
said about not having TCP/IP support for MOL is the fact that when I
startmol and go into CONTROL PANEL>TCP/IP, I get a message which reads
something to the effect that the previously configured Ethernet is not
available, and that the connection has been changed to "AppleTalk (MacIP)".

If this means that somehow MOL lost its TCP/IP support (probably due to my
editing errors of /etc/molrc/), and this is the reason netatalk is not
working, how do I fix it?

In /etc/molrc/, I have the following Ethernet settings:

netdev: eth0 -sheep

although, I am not sure if this should cause a problem.

Thanks,

Srihan Mark De Livera, CCNA