Re: Can't install YDL 2.1 on B&W

Subject: Re: Can't install YDL 2.1 on B&W
From: Patrick Ladam (ladam@smbh.smbh.univ-paris13.fr)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 11:50:52 MST

Ed wrote:

> Hi, I just purchased YDL 2.1 direct from YDL (I thought I'd support
> them). I boot from the install CD and start to install, but after the
> question about the keyboard type, I get a message saying "The
> installer was unable to mount the CD/DVD". If I hit "OK", it asks me
> to "Please insert the Yellow Dog Install CD into the CD/DVD drive".
> This fails again. I can't seem to get past this point in the install.
>
> If I hit option-F3 to see the console, I see an error message,
> "System Error: (22, 'Invalid argument')"
>
> Since I booted from the install CD, I don't see how it is unable to
> mount it.
>
> My system is a 400MHz B&W G3 (rev 1 motherboard). The main hard drive
> is a 2.5 GB with OS 9.2.1 installed (HFS+). I added a Sonnet Tempo
> IDE card and added a 40GB hard drive on controller 1. Its partitioned
> into to 20 GB partitions with OS 10.1 on the first partition (HFS+).
> The second partition is unallocated.
>
> TIA,
> Ed Wang

Hi Ed,

You probably are in the text-mode installer, this problem you mention does
not appear if you are in X-mode. I have the same machine than you and noticed
that sometimes the Graphic installer will show up, sometimes not and would
fall back in text-mode.
Here is a trick that worked everytime for me:

   using pdisk or Disk Utility from MacOS

2)Reboot once into MacOS, that is the trick to get the X-mode installer

  later on.

3) Reboot the YDL install CD and go for it, you should have

the graphic installer now working.

I have no real explanation for that (something re-initialized

in MacOS during step 2 probably) but this worked perfectly for me.

Bye

| Patrick LADAM | |
| Laboratoire CSSB | THE BIG BANG THEORY: |
| UFR SMBH | |
| 74 rue Marcel Cachin | In the begining there was |
| 93017 Bobigny CEDEX | nothing at all. |
| >>> NEW e-mail: <<< | |
| ladam@smbh.smbh.univ-paris13.fr | Then, it exploded... |
| Tel: 01 48 38 77 26 / 76 85 | |
| Fax: 01 48 38 77 77 | |