Re: VNC Viewer/Server for Yellowdog

Subject: Re: VNC Viewer/Server for Yellowdog
From: Alexander Holst (holst@fh-pforzheim.de)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 04:50:13 MST

> Hey folks, jsut want to know if anybody out there has either
>successfully built the vnc_unixsrc on their yellowdog box, or knows where
>I can get my hands on a RPM or preferably, a SRPM, there's a link to
>what's supposed to be LinuxPPC rpms on the official AT&T labs site, but it
>no longer exists. anyway, TIA --Shawn
>--bedgjgkamjpccnkpkgfd

Hi Shawn,

I found an RPM on fr.rpmfind.net that works fine under YDL 2.1:

vnc-3.3.3r1-mendenhall.ppc.rpm

here the link:
http://fr.rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/linuxPPC/contrib/software/Applications/Networki
ng/vnc-3.3.3r1-mendenhall.ppc.html

here the output from rpm -qi vnc:

Name : vnc Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version : 3.3.3r1 Vendor: (none)
Release : mendenhall Build Date: Tue 10 Oct 2000
11:06:44 PM CEST
Install date: Wed 17 Oct 2001 01:25:53 PM CEST Build Host: mendenhall
Group : Applications/Networking Source RPM:
vnc-3.3.3r1-mendenhall.src.rpm
Size : 1620854 License: GPL
Packager : Marcus Mendenhall <marcus.h.mendenhall@vanderbilt.edu>
From http://www.orl.co.uk/vnc/index.html:
VNC stands for Virtual Network Computing. It is, in essence, a remote
display system which allows you to view a computing 'desktop'
environment not only on the machine where it is running, but from
anywhere on the Internet and from a wide variety of machine architectures.

It would be nice if YDL thought about including it in their distro, since
at the moment, due to the incomplete support of video on the ANS, this is
the only way, to work on my ANS using a GUI - and it works great! Only
caveat: in 16bit colours, you get funky colours on the Mac but 8bit and
24bit work fine =8]

BTW, I tried several different rpms for ppc architecture, but only this one
gave me usable colours, all the others I tried, screwed up colours in any
depth.

Hope that helped.

Greetings,
Alex

Alexander Holst
SysAdmin MacLabor Visuelle Kommunikation
Pforzheim University of Applied Sciences
Germany
ph.: +49 [0]7231 28-6837
fx.: +49 [0]7231 28-6040
<holst@fh-pforzheim.de>