Can't boot to MacOS on G4/AGP w/ preinstalled drive

Subject: Can't boot to MacOS on G4/AGP w/ preinstalled drive
adw612@casbah.it.northwestern.edu
Date: Sat Jul 08 2000 - 12:43:12 MDT

I just got my pre-installed Yellow Dog hard drive, and it works perfectly in my AGP G4/400. When the computer starts up, it goes into the yaboot screen. I type "Linux", hit return, and Linux boots normally. However, I can't figure out how to boot to Mac OS with this setup. The installation instructions for the preinstalled drives (which are very short) say that to boot into Mac OS, I should hold down the space bar as the computer starts up or reboots. I tried this, but yaboot still comes up, and only gives me "Linux" as an option when I press the Tab key. I have had to disconnect the YDL drive to boot my Mac OS drive.

I'm wondering if my drives are set up properly. My internal IDE chain looks like this:

Logic board----------Mac OS drive (slave)--------YDL drive (master)

I'm not quite sure that my Mac OS drive is jumpered as a slave, because the instructions on the drive case are really unclear...I took all the jumper pins off, which I think is supposed to work.

I can still bring up Open Firmware; however, when I type "mac-boot", it goes right into yaboot.

My Mac OS drive is 10 GB, formatted into two HFS+ partitions, with OS 9.0.4 on the larger partition. Is it okay not to have a regular HFS partition? I'm not sure what the problem might be, since I followed the installation instructions exactly (there were only 14 steps, mostly "open your computer" or "turn the power on"). Has anyone else with a preinstalled drive had this problem? Or, is there a way for me to load MacOS from yaboot? (I would have no problem doing that). Thanks in advance for helping a newbie.

Andrew

This message has been posted from Mail2Web http://www.mail2web.com/
Web Hosting for $9.95 per month! Visit: http://www.yourhosting.com/