Linux Innovation (was Language Paradigms)

Subject: Linux Innovation (was Language Paradigms)
From: Ted Goranson (tedg@infi.net)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 15:09:53 MDT

Err, John, those aren't exactly innovations. Instead, they are
implementations of rather mature ideas.

Let me take a shot: The Gnu/Linux community can take credit for:

--Revolutionizing and standardizing the notion of an editor. I know
many here will scoff at emacs because it is too big or complex for
their tastes, but it is what the big boys use and is a landmark for
everything else (excepting GUI). It is really what got the FSF going,
and is still their major achievement.

--Because of the need to support distributed relatively unmanaged
development, we have CVS. It is a bear for sure, but it does satisfy
a pretty complex need.

--Because Linux opened the world of the kernel, in the past year it
has brought new attention to practical innovation in SMP. While the
principles have been known for some time by illuminati, now we have
some widespread debates which means innovation.

--Open source notions spread to the design of languages. Some new OS
languages are quite innovative (I won't name my picks) and some are
ordinary languages that have grown or been extended in innovative
ways like Perl and Python. (As a corollary, no significant university
research is done with Windows now, so nearly all new ideas can be
found in or related to Linux in some fashion.)

The first two are GNU, the third Linux, the fourth Open Source
generally, but based in Linux.

YDL/MacOSX people, like us here, will have the best of the two
approaches to SMP to play with. Linux can offer some practical tools
to just get the job done. But in my opinion, if you want to be in the
heart of the adventure, you'll be in xemacs on YDL, playing with new
language ideas with like minds, and keeping an eye on xnu (the MacOSX
microkernel). That's my target with all my newbie setup questions.

Best, Ted

--
Ted Goranson