Re: To upgrade or not to upgrade?

Subject: Re: To upgrade or not to upgrade?
From: Matthew 'Fringe' Duhan (fringe@shore.net)
Date: Sun Jul 08 2001 - 01:40:15 MDT

I'm Ccing this to the linuxppc-nubus list as well, as there may be interest.

On Sat, 7 Jul 2001, Donovan Warren wrote:
>On Saturday 07 July 2001 09:25, Matthew 'Fringe' Duhan is purported to have
>said:
>>Hi folks. Got a question.
>>I have an old PowerMac 6100/66, 80 Mb RAM, 4.1 Gb HD running YDL 1.2.1 as
>>my web/e-mail server. It's not terribly fast, but it does the job, and is
>>fine for my purposes. I don't run Xwindows or a GUI on it, it's all done
>>from the command line, and is running well.
>>Is it worth it for me to upgrade?
>>I could just upgrade apache, php, etc to the latest versions, as the
>>machine is tuned now. Or, I could tarball, upgrade to YDL 2.0, reconfigure
>>everything, etc. This would take more time, and I'd have to tune again.
>>This is the only machine that I have with Linux, as a production server
>>(unless anyone wants to donate another one to me as a development server
>>:) so I'd like to minimize my downtime.
>>My thinking on this is if it ain't broke, don't fix it, as I'd rather not
>>have downtime. However, if 2.0 is going to give me great improvements over
>>1.2.1, I'd rather get the better performance, stability, etc. I do not
>>need to run the latest and greatest just because it's there, however.
>>So, what do you think? Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages of
>>downtime that I should upgrade, or am I fine where I am? I'm interested to
>>hear opinions, but facts are better (such as "2.0 will give you an x%
>>speed boost over 1.2.1"). Thanks!
>>
>>Sincerely,
>>Matt
>
>AFAIK, YDL won't run on a 6100 ... the supported systems list only lists PCI
>machines, and the 6100 is on the "known not to work" list.

I know for a fact that YDL runs on a 6100, as I am doing so, along with a
few others, thanks to the wonderful work of Takashi Oe. You can find
information and kernels at
http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net/
So again I ask, what benefits will I get if I upgrade to YDL 2.0 from 1.2.1?
Is it worth it to do so?

Thanks,
Matt
Matthew Duhan fringe@shore.net http://www.shore.net/~fringe
When I want my opinions I'll ask me for them.
WWW, HTML, VR, MOO, HRSFA, TMBG, DNA--any more initials and I'll go insane
42