SCSI Hard Drive problems

Subject: SCSI Hard Drive problems
From: Richard McLaren (richard_mclaren2@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 14:52:25 MDT

I am trying to run YDL 2.0 on a PowerMac 7200/90; 160MB RAM; MacOS 8.6; 64MB
L2 Cache; 2MB VRAM; original 500MB Quantum Fireball HD scsi id 0 for MacOS;
added 4.3GB Seagate Barracuda HD scsi id 1 for YDL.

After many attempts, I now have Linux installed on the PowerMac. X-Windows
fails and throws me back to the command prompt. I will deal with this
problem later, because I am getting constant hard drive errors of the form:

    SCSI disk error: host 0 channel 0 id 1 lun 0 return code 8000000
    Info fld=0x95bda, Deferred sd08:15: sense key Recovered Error
    Additional sense indicates Track following error
    scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:15, sector 1128

Some of the numbers change, but at times an entire screen can fill with many
such messages, one after the other.

I also got the following error:

EXT2-fs error (device sd(8,21): ext2_readdir: directory #101479 contains a
hole at offset 0)

Can anyone state categorically that this is just a hard drive problem and
are there additional tests I can run to prove this? The hard drive appeared
to be OK when running as a MacOS drive, but it was not used extensively in
this mode.

When presented with the problem, the supplier of the hard drive, which is
still under warranty, stated:

"I am not familiar with Linux error codes. I suggest you use a copy of
Norton Utilities for Macintosh, or Disk First Aid, to see if it can find any
unrepairable problems with the drive."

A natural response from a Mac shop, I suppose.

Terrasoft suggested that I've got a bad hard drive or it's not terminated
correctly.

I'm between a rock and a hard drive. Any suggestions?