Re: misery with install on Wallstreet Powerbook G3/466/DVD

Subject: Re: misery with install on Wallstreet Powerbook G3/466/DVD
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Jul 22 2001 - 15:07:15 MDT

At 1:36 PM -0700 7/22/01, Michael Carlson wrote:

>I'm hoping one or more folks will have a few insights to offer me. I
>have been trying unsuccessfully to install YDL 2.0 on my Wallstreet
>Powerbook G3/466/DVD since I first downloaded the ISO and burned a
>copy three weeks ago. Just to make sure, I downloaded the ISO a second
>time about a week ago. I have tried three different burns of the ISO
>(all using the Mac Volume version), all made with Adaptec's (aka
>Roxio's) Toast Deluxe 4.1.2 and a Yamaha SCSI burner from APS,

[...]

>The three burns, in order, have been: CD-R with optimized data layout,
>CD-RW with no alteration to data layout, and most recently, CD-R with
>no alternation to data layout.

I would try burning in Disc Image mode. Don't mount the image, just
select image mode in Toast and select the ISO image as the data.

Here's why: The YDL 2.0 ISO image is a hybrid HFS/ISO9660 disc.
Hybrid discs have two coexisting file systems. They share a common
data area, so a file can be present in one or both of the file
systems.

Mounting a hybrid image and burning using Mac Volume in Toast creates
a pure HFS disc with no ISO9660 directory structure. This is
sufficient to get you into the installer, because Open Firmware and
yaboot can read the relevant files from the HFS directory structures.
However, the YDL installer no doubt expects to mount an ISO9660 file
system, and fails because it can't find one.

   Tim Seufert