Re: More questions on Xpmac.special

Subject: Re: More questions on Xpmac.special
From: Michael Long (protean1358@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 08:22:28 MDT

"M.A.M. van Steensel" wrote:

> > What do you mean by passing the server to startx? Should I disable
> > XF86_FBDev by trashing it? Or change my init script to 5 instead of 3?
> > I'm using the most recent stable kernel from Paul's tree (with some USB
> > hangs), 2.2.15p19. This kernel has Ben's patches from pre14 in it too.
> >

> You don't have to thrash XF86_FBDev.
> >From ye olde man pages
>
> SYNOPSIS
> startx [ [ client ] options ... ] [ -- [ server ] options
> ... ]
>
> Check if there's something like an .xserverrc in you home dir or a
> <XRoot>/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc where XRoot is the root of the X11 tree.
>
> If there's a pointer to XF86_FBDev there then you should try and startx
> explicitly using the Xpmac server. If there isn't you should log the output of
> the startx command and send it to the list - so we can see what the server says.
> (like, startx 2>&1 >x-log). You can also just start X by typing "X" and see what
> happens.
> For the FB_Dev to work properly you should upgrade X to 4.0.
>
> The most recent kernel is 2.2.15pre20, by the way, ad gets rid of most USB
> probs.
>
> Maurice

After literally weeks of investigation and prbing of this mailing list, I fianlly
have 24-bit colr depth on my G4 Sawtooth. Thanks to Maurice and others. I
resolved the problem by adding and append to my yaboot.conf file where I entered my
video mode and color mode. Now if I can just depp Gnome from crashing........