Re: corrupted /proc/ioports? (serial port woes pt.II)

Subject: Re: corrupted /proc/ioports? (serial port woes pt.II)
From: Charles Stevenson (csteven@terraplex.com)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 08:22:48 MDT

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, you wrote:
> Hi again folks,
>
> (Thanks for your previous reply Charles.)
>
> I think I have traced my troubles with getting my
> serial printer and internal modem working to the
> current /proc/ioports -- it's empty when viewed
> with vi or less, but shows a "y" with an " above
> when viewed with more. I looked at the same file
> on my linux box at work and that one is quite
> sensible. How do I go about correcting this?

Your /proc/ioports is empty? You might need to reboot to fix that, not sure if
you accidently edited it while trying to view it. I would use 'cat' to view
any /proc files.

Perhaps look for your modem in dmesg.

dmesg |more

For example if I want to find out what my ethernet device is I just do:

[root@core ~]# dmesg |grep eth0
eth0: BMAC+ at 00:05:02:0f:57:cc