Re: Will we be able to update to YDL 2 ????

Subject: Re: Will we be able to update to YDL 2 ????
From: Iain Stevenson (iain@IainStevenson.com)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 02:26:02 MDT

I think the serious points here are:

- Linux isn't as easy to upgrade as MacOS was (I haven't got OS X)
- many YDL users (like me) don't have the luxury of a second machine

Mac users assume that any upgrade can be got working in less than a day. If
this is your only experience of operating systems then it is likely you'll
have the expectation that an upgrade is no big deal. Linux is not like
this.

I got burnt by the previous upgrade of YDL so I decided that this time round
I'd upgrade incrementally. This weekend I upgraded several components of my
system (compilers, libraries, KDE) from the 2.0 CDs and it's still working
today! My experience was:

- I had to rebuild a couple of packages because they are configured
differently from the YDL distro
- I couldn't get the XFree86 on the CD to work (a driver problem) so went
back to the RPMs Hollis posted
- kpresenter does not work although other koffice packages do - maybe I need
to rebuild this too.

I don't think it's constructive to flame YDL about the 2.0 release - IMHO
it's better to report the problems and let them work to fix them. Of
course, if there is a major problem then they'll need to take appropriate
action.

  Iain