2.0 trip report : Powerbook G3

Subject: 2.0 trip report : Powerbook G3
From: Black (cpa@ece.cmu.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 22:39:42 MDT

So...

        I have a '98 G3 Powerbook (266 Mhz). I just got my 2.0 install
disk and tried to do an install. I removed all of my old BootX files and
installed the new version. That went fine. I then went to run the
installer.
        After the startup screen all went by as expected, but then when I
dropped into the new graphical installer, I had large vertical bars all
across my screen. I exited (by disagreeing to the agreement), and tried
again. This time I entered my old kernel arguments , but they made no
difference, so I tried a third time with 'no video' checked, but this
didn't make any difference either.
        So, I went into the text version of the installer. This seemed to
work, so I proceded with the installation. Everything went smoothly until
I got to the package installation phase. I was doing a custom install (I
had previous partitions), and I chose the developer's package. This went
fine until I hit the XFree86-devel package. It got about half way through
and then just stopped. I couldn't tell whether or not anything was
actually wrong, so I just waited. however, after 20 minutes had passed
without change, I decided that the installation had indeed stalled. I
tried doing an opt-F4, but nothing happened. I ended up just pulling the
plug.
        At this point I tried to use the graphical installer again (it
seemed to work, I just had to move the windows around to be able to read
them around the bars...). I didn't reformat, so when I got to the package
install stage, it started telling me that the packages were already
present and updated (during the deciding dependencies stage I believe). It
finally got through all of the packages that I had already installed when
it stalled.
        So, I tried again, this time I took the time to reformat
everything. The installation got to the same place that it did the first
time (XFree86-devel package). This time, since it was the graphical
installer, I had a cursor, so it was even clearer that the installation
had stalled (i.e. the cursor could no logner move...).
        I am a little stubborn, so I went back to the text version of the
installer and tried again. This time I decided to skip the Developer's
packages and do the Home installation. This time the installation went
through. I set up everything and then logged in into my user account. Of
course, the first thing I did was type startx. KDE started up, though not
without it's problems. I didn't have all of the vertical bars, but the
window was all screwed up. The whole screen was shifted up about two
inches and wrapped around to the bottom of the screen (i.e. the top two
inches of the screen were on the bottom). I rotated through my screen
resolutions, but they all had the same problem.
        I didn't spend a whole lot of time trying to debug the KDE
problem, so I may still be able to figure that out, though any help would
be greatly appreciated. However, the installer problems were more serious,
and I'd like to know why the graphical installer didn't work quite right
for me and how to do the developers installation with out having the
stalling problem... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Christopher