YDL 2.0, cd-sound on Wallstreet

Subject: YDL 2.0, cd-sound on Wallstreet
From: Soren N. Madsen (snm@mac.com)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 11:45:14 MDT

I installed the developer package on my '98 Wallstreet powerbook G3 (see:
http://lists.yellowdoglinux.com/yellowdog-general/June01/0169.html). As I
wrote in that post:

> My PROBLEM with the Wallstret install is that CD-playback does not work.
> Sound works, I can hear the KDE serenade and MP3 files will play. Also,
> both the Gnome and KDE CD-players will recognize the cd (and the number of
> tracks etc.) and it will playback, but no sound nonetheless from neither the
> built-in speakers or from the headset jack. I did try adjusting the audio
> mixer but no cigar. Does anyone have working cd playback on a Wallstreet
> then please post details....

I've learned a little bit in the meanwhile. I found a number of related
posts on the linuxppc-user list:

http://lists.linuxppc.org/listarcs/linuxppc-user/200006/msg00887.html
http://lists.linuxppc.org/listarcs/linuxppc-user/200006/msg00915.html
http://lists.linuxppc.org/listarcs/linuxppc-user/200006/msg00890.html
http://lists.linuxppc.org/listarcs/linuxppc-user/200006/msg00901.html

When I do as suggested (mac side: select expansion bay sound then bootX)
then I do get cd sound -but the quality is TERRIBLE. No matter how I set
the mixer controls (headphones, speakers, cd, monitor) sound goes suddenly
from no sound to overdriven/saturated/distorted.

I would like to know whether anyone has decent cd playback on a Wallstreet.
If so, which distribution do you use (YDL 2.0 would be preferred ;) did you
do any custom installs or modifications?

Thanks,
Soren