Re: ahh...stuffit

Subject: Re: ahh...stuffit
From: Dave Comeau (dave@evsdesigns.com)
Date: Mon Jun 18 2001 - 22:46:35 MDT

I went through two install CDs . The third finally worked. I'm not
sure of any zip drive problems, but you may have a bad install CD. I
stopped second guessing myself on the 2nd CD. Everything went fine on
the third one.

I'll have to agree with the .sit file on the install CD. Luckily I
found stuffit expander on my OS install CD. Seems like an odd way to
go about things... Why is it compressed in the first place?!
(probably a good reason, but I would imagine a lot of people try to
get away with bare-bones installs of the mac os).

Dave Comeau

>hehe...
>
> too minimal an install even for that ;) while I'm on the topic, has
>anyone run into problems installing where the Installer dies because of a
>"Package Install Failed" during its attempt to transfer packages. I am
>getting that on an 8600 with an internal Zip and HD. I also get an error
>after setting up my partitions, "Error opening /dev/sdb: No such device or
>address" if I try installing without anything in the Zip drive. If I
>continue past the error (or install with a disk in the drive), I come to
>the second error (Packge Install Failed). If I hit OK it tries to
>configure the network, but dies in the process because no files have
>actually been copied (apparently).
>
>Any ideas?
>Mike
>
>On Sun, 17 Jun 2001, Ben Jansen wrote:
>

> > On Sunday, June 17, 2001, at 06:54 PM, Michael Tucker wrote:
> >
> > > or make it an .sea vs. .hqx?)....
> >
> > If it is only Binhexed, then you can use Netscape or IE to decode it.
> >
> > -Ben

970.453.8331
www.evsdesigns.com