Re: screen resolution problems

Subject: Re: screen resolution problems
From: Jamin "W." Collins (jcollins@asgardsrealm.net)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 11:44:32 MDT

On 26 Jun 2001 10:47:25 -0400, Tim Moran wrote:
> All I want to do right now is change from 1600x1200 to 1024x768.
Couple of options here. Depending greatly on how youre XF86Config file
is setup. You may be able to adjust the resolution on-the-fly using
(sorry I'm an x86 user mainly so I don't know the translation of the
keys for PPC) CTRL+ALT+<NUM PAD +> or CTRL+ALT+<NUM PAD ->. However, it
is more likely that you will need to edit your XF86Config file directly
to make the needed changes. I would be happy to help you with these
changes. However, it is a little difficult to give you truly generic
instructions that will be of any use (I'm sure it can be done, just not
sure of how to explain it concisely). Depending on the version of X you
are using 3.x or 4.x the file layout will be considerably different.
I'm going to assume that we are working with a 4.x version file. The
file should be in your "/etc/X11" directory. You will need root
permission most likely to edit this file. The filename will be either
XF86Config or XF86Config-4 (if both exist go with the -4 one). Open
this file in an editor and look for a section heading:

Section "Screen"

Under this you should find some subsections for your display:

Subsection "Display"

There may be multiple subsections with this designation. Under these we
are looking for a line entitled:

Modes

This line contains a space seperated listing of valid display
resolutions. The X server will use them in a right to left fashion.
First resolution it finds that it can use, it will. What you need to do
is either remove the higher resolutions that you don't want to use from
the list, move them to the end of the list, or change the listing to
only contain the value you want.

Note: making changes to your XF86Config file can render X unusable. If
this happens, you can pass "init 3" to your kernel on startup to start
in text mode and correct the XF86Config file.

> As for the comment regarding the general list and people not having time
> to deal with newbies: Why isn't there a newbie forum with hosts to
> answer simple problems? I thought that's what the general list was all
> about?
It is what the list is about, and people do volunteer their time for
newbies. Just like I have.

Jamin W. Collins