Re: screen resolution problems

Subject: Re: screen resolution problems
From: Brian Durant (bdurant@peterlink.ru)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 11:54:39 MDT

On 26/6/01 18:47, Tim Moran at tim@brickbros.com wrote: / den 26/6/01 18:47
skrev Tim Moran fra tim@brickbros.com følgende:

> As for the comment regarding the general list and people not having time
> to deal with newbies: Why isn't there a newbie forum with hosts to
> answer simple problems? I thought that's what the general list was all
> about? I understand that I didn't purchase installation support and that
> Terrasoft has no obligation to help me. However, wouldn't this be a good
> idea in the interest of pushing YDL to grow in marketshare and
> acceptance? I truly want to learn Linux but I can't even seem to get
> past simple hurdles like screen resolutions. People suggesting that I
> post somewhere else aren't helping my impression of the Linux community.
> I'm not trying to piss anyone off but I don't know where else to go for
> help. I have tried Linuxnewbie.org, Linuxcentral, about.com's linux
> section. I attempt to research almost nightly but often spend hours
> searching for info that would best be included in the OS. For all I know
> the info is there but I have no documentation to find it. Any links,
> suggestions, flames would be greatly appreciated.

The list you talk about would be a good step, but in reality the problem
lies with YDL and TerraSoft. Here are some of the following issues that
should be directly mentioned in the manual for it to be of any use to a
newbie:

1) Why does the graphical installer only install in a text version?
2) Why is it not mentioned anywhere that if you have a Jaz and/or Zip
drives, that you MUST have disks in the drives or the install goes haywire?
3) Why isn't there an option to test monitor and video card before
committing to a specific setting that works on the Mac, but comes nowhere
close in YDL?
4) Why is there absolutely no mention of how to use the advanced option for
configuring monitor and video card options?
5) Why isn't there a basic trouble shooting guide for some of the most
common issues that newbies can experience?
6) Why is there only a reprint of the manual on the site and not an expanded
version that covers some or all of the above issues?

Don't get me wrong, I got a prompt answer to my Zip and Jax drive issue, but
why spend time answering the same question over and over when a simple note
in the manual or on the web would 9 out of 10 times do the trick and reduce
traffic? As far as the list is concerned, I may have been a little quick to
jump on everyone's back, but if it isn't in the manual not on the web site,
not on other sites and no response from the list, what do you do when you
are a newbie to YDL? No, I didn't pay for support, but at $20 for the
product and $80 for shipping, I thought that I had paid enough!

In conclusion I would like to say that no, Linux is not easy and I didn't
necessarily expect it to be, but as a Mac clone owner that is fed up with
Apple's OS X and clone policy, I would like to find an alternative that is a
modern system, has some of the fire that the Mac community has and fulfils
my needs without having to invest a lot of money on new hardware or to spend
days on end fiddling with prefs and doing reinstalls simply because the
installer isn't up to snuff. YDL has the potential for becoming Red Hat on
Mac hardware, but some serious issues like those above need to solved by
TerraSoft first.

My two cents,

Brian