Re: Re(2): No Subject

Subject: Re: Re(2): No Subject
From: Scott Shanafelt (sgshanaf@chartermi.net)
Date: Sat Jun 30 2001 - 11:32:28 MDT

sorry, ok i'll explain this better.

go into the cd you were able to burn from the iso (I assume it was
successfull to the point you have all the rpms inside /YellowDog/RPMS/), and
a folder in the root cd directory called "install". This is all in Mac OS,
of course.

Next, using stuffit expander decompress the installer your machine needs
(new world needs yaboot, beige-G3 and previous use bootx). I use Bootx, so
i'll describe that:

Decompressing BootX_installer.hqx to your mac hard drive, you'll get an
installer. Now i suggest you rename your mac volume with your system on it
to "Macintosh HD" for ease of configuration.

Launch the installer you decompressed and it will ask to restart. do so.
What has happened is this:

the installer placed the bootx extension in the system folder. This
extension activates very early in the mac boot-up process, and is capable of
launching linux or macos. It should be configured at the moment to boot of
an "image" which the installer you ran placed inside your mac volumes system
folder. So, when you have bootx boot into linux, at this point its really
only booting that image file inside your mac hard drive. This image file is
designed to do nothing but access your computers equipment and provide tools
to partition and install.

While your installing make SURE you keep track of what the installer says
your linux boot directory is. This will be a special message, so its hard
to ignore. when you finish installing reboot and press tab when you get to
the bootx window (this stops the countdown). Go into options, and UN-click
the "use image" button. close that window, and a text field has appeared
that allows you to input the drive partition with linux on it. Input what
you recorded during the linux installation here. For example, mine was:
/dev/sda8
click the save options/preferences button and now click the linux button
once again. You will boot into linux (hopefully)!

Regards,
Scott Shanafelt