Re: source available?

Subject: Re: source available?
From: Paul J. Schinder (schinder@pobox.com)
Date: Sun Mar 11 2001 - 15:04:30 MST

>I'm looking for a location to get source for various programs including
>identd, fingerd, rlogind, etc. I need to recompile these as I'm using
>a 2.4.x series kernel. Is the source made available? I have tried browsing
>the ftp sites, and have also tried anonymous cvs (received a Connection
>refused message, is this down?). Any ideas?

Yes, of course. If you bought the CD's, the source is certainly on
them. If not, it's somewhere on Yellowdog's ftp site in a directory
named SRPMS. It's sometimes a little difficult to figure out which
RPM contains which daemon, but in this case:

linux% rpm -q -f `which in.fingerd`
finger-server-0.16-5
linux% rpm -q -f `which identd`
pidentd-3.0.10-2
linux% rpm -q -f `which in.rlogind`
rsh-server-0.16-9

But why do you think you need to recompile them just because you're
using a 2.4.x kernel? I'm using a 2.4.1, and although I don't use
fingerd or rlogind much any more, they both still work, and identd
certainly works. I haven't recompiled any of them.

--
Paul Schinder
schinder@pobox.com