Re: Linux laptops

Subject: Re: Linux laptops
From: George Mogiljansky (mogiljan@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 14:56:54 MST

Hello Kray, Nathan, et al:
Linux will (should) become the default OS for several
reasons:
drivers are being developed at a rate far faster than
that for Mac or even Win;
reverse engineering - a challenge for eager hackers;
patent violations - harder and harder to prosecute in
the electronics/computer worlds, meaning that
licensing will evolve with the times or shrivel up and
die and offshore companies will produce cheaper
knock-offs of consumer-oriented and other items;
cost - cheap, even with consulting fees (which you'll
pay for proprietary SW in any case).
News Flash: last week, Wal-Mart offered a Celeron 1
Gig box for $399 with no OS installed - get the
picture?

George (Beige G3 Rev. A, 333 MHz, 768 MB, OS X,
looking for a Linux CD in Montreal - swapped my YD 2.0
and a Win 95 CD for OS X)

--- Ryan Mesler <kraylus@airmail.net> wrote:
> hehe, that reminds me of the quote from a good
> friend of mine:
>
> "the essence of advanced technology is to make
> something so simple a monkey
> pushing a button can use it. by this definition...
> linux is NOT
> technologically advanced"
>
> nuff said. don't get me wrong, i love linux. really
> do. greatest thing that
> ever happened to me (cept for that whole marriage
> thing back in '99 - love
> you sweetie :). but if you're a casual computer user
> who just wants to surf
> the web, play games, and/or download porn... linux
> isn't for you.
>
> R.L. Mesler <Kraylus>
> Call me Kray
>
> If at first you don't succeed, call it version 1.0
>

> >Just in case anyone didn't see this, there was an
> Ask Slashdot question
> >about what laptop to get if'n you're wanting to run
> linux. [Ti|Ice]Book +
> >YDl was one of the most favored combonations. Go
> YDL! I use YDL on my
> >Pismo and have actually started using it in
> preference to my Dell 420 at
> >home and Sawtooth at work.
> >
> >http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/03/06/0033236
> >
> >-n
> >--

=====
/'\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ / No HTML/RTF in email
 X No Word docs in email
/ \ Respect for open standards

Love your neighbour as yourself. (from Luke 10:27)