Re: ATI Mach64 SOLVED on Beige G3

Subject: Re: ATI Mach64 SOLVED on Beige G3
From: Alexander Holst (holst@fh-pforzheim.de)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 04:37:54 MST

On 6 Mar 2002 00:38:59 -0000
Stefan Jeglinski <jeglin@4pi.com>:

> >I attached my /etc/X11/XF86config as well as a /var/log/XFree86.0.log
> >Hope this helps.
> >
> >ps.: maybe someone out there can at least confirm my assumption in
> >running accelarated according to my logfile.
>
> Yes, according to your log file, you are running accelerated.
> Congratulations :-) I'm confused by the log though, admittedly
> because I may not be able to decipher it too well... what video
> devices do you have on your G3 233/DT? I see in the log both:
>
> (II) ATI: Shared PCI/AGP Mach64 in slot 0:18:0 detected.
>
> and:
>
> (--) ATI(0): ATI 3D Rage II graphics controller detected.
> (--) ATI(0): Chip type 4754 "GT", version 2, foundry UMC, class 0,
> revision 0x02.
> (--) ATI(0): PCI bus interface detected; block I/O base is 0x0400.
>

> Do you have 2 video cards?

No, I don't. Much to my surprise as well, I read those lines. Maybe someone out there can explain. My machine is a G3 233/DT Rev. 1 which means it does have the ATI Rage II and not the ATI Rage Pro chip. Therefore, I do not understand the first entry in my logfile, stating it detected some card in a PCI slot, unless the onboard graphics chip, somehow is hardwired to the PCI bus. Would that make any sense?

Did you try and pass any kernel parameters at boot-time? It certainly helped me a lot in finding my setup.

Greetings,
Alex

--
Alexander Holst
SysAdmin MacLabor Visuelle Kommunikation