Re: ATI Mach64 SOLVED on Beige G3

Subject: Re: ATI Mach64 SOLVED on Beige G3
From: Stefan Jeglinski (jeglin@4pi.com)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 08:39:31 MST

> > (II) ATI: Shared PCI/AGP Mach64 in slot 0:18:0 detected.
>>
>> and:
>>
>> (--) ATI(0): ATI 3D Rage II graphics controller detected.
>> (--) ATI(0): Chip type 4754 "GT", version 2, foundry UMC, class 0,
>> revision 0x02.
>> (--) ATI(0): PCI bus interface detected; block I/O base is 0x0400.
>>

> > Do you have 2 video cards?
>
>No, I don't. Much to my surprise as well, I read those lines. Maybe
>someone out there can explain. My machine is a G3 233/DT Rev. 1
>which means it does have the ATI Rage II and not the ATI Rage Pro
>chip. Therefore, I do not understand the first entry in my logfile,
>stating it detected some card in a PCI slot, unless the onboard
>graphics chip, somehow is hardwired to the PCI bus. Would that make
>any sense?

Yeah, I think it's just a logging error. Don't know why it didn't hit
me before, but there's no way your machine has an AGP slot. I take it
you're saying you don't even have -1- video card, rather that your
video is on the motherboard (which would make sense).

>Did you try and pass any kernel parameters at boot-time? It
>certainly helped me a lot in finding my setup.

Yeah, been there done that. I suppose it's quite possible that the
difference is between the II and Pro chips. Actually, I have a way to
test that theory, thanks for the clue...

Stefan Jeglinski