Re: Ease Of Use and Hardware Support (WAS: Linux Laptops)

Subject: Re: Ease Of Use and Hardware Support (WAS: Linux Laptops)
From: Christopher Murtagh (christopher.murtagh@mcgill.ca)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 07:21:52 MST

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Justin Christopher wrote:
>I paid zero, which coincidentally is what it seems to be worth. (No
>sound, no working ethernet, no working airport).

 Well, it seems that linux isn't for you. Since it didn't cost you
anything, format the HD and run MacOS. Then unsubscribe from this list.

 Frankly, I'm really tired of people complaining about new hardware not
working and saying ignorant statements like 'YDL isn't ready for prime
time'. This is just nonsense. I have been running our servers on YDL since
version 1.2.1 and have been taking on a couple million hits a day with
almost 0 down time (the few moments of down time, literally minutes per
year, were my fault, not YDL). I've also used my iBook2 (running linux)
as my primary development tool while travelling to build our enterprise
class portal. All this from an OS that I could have paid nothing for but
was more than happy to dish out $ for.

 This isn't to say that this OS isn't perfect. In fact, I could easily
find more problems with OS X than YDL, but that is another discussion for
another list.

 So, please if you are having problems do what the majority of folks do.
Ask for help, try something and if that still fails try something else.

Chris