RE: Local server (AppleTalk, Ethernet)

Subject: RE: Local server (AppleTalk, Ethernet)
From: Tams Darrin (Tams_Darrin@stvrain.k12.co.us)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 08:12:31 MDT

I fought the issue of not having the service showing in the Chooser for
months. It worked great via IP as the previous response mentioned. Some user
very recently suggested adding a line that states:

"modprobe appletalk" (without the quotes) to the "/etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk"
script file at the beginning somewhere.

It has worked like a charm since then.
--

 Allegro Arranged by:
 ____|\_#_________|\_____

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to set up Linux as a local file/httpd server. How do I do this?
>
> atalk starts at startup
> eth0 says OK at startup
> do I need more?
>
> When I choose AppleShare from the Chooser on a different Mac I don't
> see anything. (connections are OK as Mac's do work together).
> linuxconf has quite alotta settings, which ones do I need to adjust?

Try to connect to the host via its IP-adress. And have a look at

http://thehamptons.com/anders/netatalk/impatient.html

It's useful and should be understandeable. If not, contact me directly, I
can send you my netatalk setup. It's on an Intel-based Linux box, but
configuring netatalk should be the same, I guess.

Fryke