Re: Impossible with YDL on plain G4? (was: Re: FAQ and Yaboot)?

Subject: Re: Impossible with YDL on plain G4? (was: Re: FAQ and Yaboot)?
From: Michael Wilkinson (michaelwilkinson@mac.com)
Date: Sun May 21 2000 - 18:28:38 MDT

>At 13.08 -0400 00-05-21, Michael Wilkinson wrote/00-05-21, 13.08
>-0400 skrev Michael Wilkinson:
>
>>default = linux
>>
>>image = hd:8,\\vmlinux
>> label = linux
>> root=/dev/hda9
>> novideo
>
>At 18.40 +0200 00-05-21, M.A.M. van Steensel wrote:
>>default = linux
>> image = hd:9,\vmlinux
>> label = vmlinux
>> root = /dev/hda5
>> append = "novideo"
>

>I'm just getting more and more confused. These two yaboot.conf are
>quite different but both still works? What kind of G4 do you have?

I'm on an ibook, so there might be differences. Also van Steensel is
a much more experienced user than myself so I'm sure he's made some
modifications, I think he mentioned a backup kernel a post or two ago?

>I have the second (minor) revision (when they started to be
>delivered with MacOS 9, the pci/cd 350-model was changed to AGP/DVD
>and the Rage Pro card was updated), but before the speedbump to the
>original clock speeds (400, 450 and 500). Don't know if this has any
>effect on the yaboot setup?

 From what I've read...NO. Some G4's can use BootX, the latter ones
must use Yaboot

>I assume the '\' indicated root level, but is there a difference
>between one and two backslashes? And what function has the
>label-line? Is it possible to comment in the conf-file?

Don't understand what you're asking. The backwards slash refers to
some default I think.

I've only been playing this YDL game for a couple of weeks, please
gauge my responses accordingly. BTW, when DOES the fun start!

Still waiting to learn linux,
michael