Re: quik on Umax C500 (fwd)

Subject: Re: quik on Umax C500 (fwd)
From: Hollis Blanchard (hollis@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Sun May 13 2001 - 21:10:46 MDT

----- Forwarded message from "Andrew B. Arthur" <aarthur@imaclinux.net> -----

Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 23:12:19 -0400
From: "Andrew B. Arthur" <aarthur@imaclinux.net>
To: Hollis Blanchard <hollis@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Re: quik on Umax C500

On Sunday May 13, 2001 03:21 am, you wrote:
> On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 02:14:17PM -0700, Ben Jansen wrote:
> > > It does sound like that. You might be using the wrong boot-device, in
> > > which
> > > case the problem is not that the disk hasn't spun up, but rather that
> > > it's the
> > > wrong disk. :)
> >
> > Well, the penguinppc howto did help a bit. All the other documentation
> > had the wrong boot-device setting. I've run into another problem,
> > though. Now, either it can't open the boot-file (when boot-device is set
> > to ata/ATA-Disk@0:0), or errors that CLAIM failed (when boot-device is
> > set to ata/ATA-Disk@0:3).
>
> I suspect you really mean 'ata/ata-disk@0:0' ? I'm no authority, but I
> don't think I've ever seen ATA capitalized like that in an OF path.

Yeah, on some models it is capitalized. OF is very evil on oldworld machines.

On your machine is should be lowercase (as on most).

Yeah, there was a mistake on penguinppc.org/usr/quik/defaults.html, but I
fixed that...

> > My root partition is on /dev/hda3 and quik says it installed there, so I
> > figured that's where I should point OF. But it doesn't work either way.

> It seems to me that you should use ata/ata-disk@0:3, since the 0 presumably
> means IDE master and the 3 is the partition number. (I may be completely
> wrong on that, but I wrote that down somewhere else too. :)

Yeah, that's right.

> I'm not sure what could cause a CLAIM FAILED error.

It means OF couldn't allocate some memory for some reason. It could be an
invalid OF variable somewhere, a driver conflict, or some other random
reason.

Try reseting the PRAM and setting the settings up all over again. Also try
typing in boot multiple times (hopefully that should work ; ).

Reinstalling the quik bootblock again might help, it's hard to say...

----- End forwarded message -----