Re: Locating FAQ/help

Subject: Re: Locating FAQ/help
From: Mike Melanson (melanson@pcisys.net)
Date: Mon May 28 2001 - 15:16:07 MDT

On Mon, 28 May 2001, Michael Tucker wrote:

> comprehensive (hehe) list of utilities that are recommended for setting up
> different services and devices. For example, now that I am debugging PPP,

        Generally, "whatever works" is the best guideline. Personally, I
don't know beans about linuxconf or a lot of automated or graphical
configuration tools because I'm just the type that gets down and dirty
with config files and error logs.

        As for pppd, you may wish to test it from the command line. This
is the exact command line I used for years until I set up a more automated
system just this weekend:

/usr/sbin/pppd connect 'chat -v "" ATDT####### CONNECT "" name: USERNAME
word: PASSWORD' /dev/ttyS1 57600 debug crtscts modem defaultroute noauth

Of course, substitute your own dialup phone number, username, and password
into that command. You may have to change the tty number as well,
depending on your COM port. See if that works.

--
	-Mike Melanson