Re: Can't seem to make ext2 filesystem on 7200

Subject: Re: Can't seem to make ext2 filesystem on 7200
From: Hollis R Blanchard (hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 12 2000 - 13:07:39 MST

On Sat, 11 Nov 2000, Mike Warwick wrote:

> on 11/11/2000 11:05 PM, Sean O. Denney at sdenney@cise.ufl.edu wrote:
>
> > I don't know if this is still an issue w/ linux, but I remember that
> > partitions greater than 2GB were hard for linux to handle. You can
> > have many many partitions, but they had to be limited to 2GB or less.

As Robert pointed out, this isn't a problem (similar in origin to the "swap
has to be 128M" chain letter ;).

> Thanks for the advice, but I'm still having the same trouble. While the
> install console says "Making ext2 filesystem on /dev/sdb6," console F4
> reports some errors like what appears below, then the install process seems
> to hang. After nothing happened for 10 hours yesterday, I assumed it had
> died.
>
> The Error Messages in Console F4:
> <4>SCSI disk error : host 0 channel 0 id 1 lun 0 return code = 40000
> <4>scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:16, sector 196632
> <4>SCSI disk error : host 0 channel 0 id 1 lun 0 return code = 40000
> <4>scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:16, sector 196634

Have you tried the obvious? Is your SCSI chain terminated correctly? (That is
NOT the same as asking "is it ok under Mac OS".)

Also, there was a problem long ago with Quantum drives at SCSI id 0 that
caused similar problems, but I believe you said this was an external drive.

-Hollis