Xautoconfig 0.9

Subject: Xautoconfig 0.9
From: Tom Rini (trini@kernel.crashing.org)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 10:34:36 MST

Hey all. I'm announcing a new version of Xautoconfig, 0.9.
For those of you that haven't heard about it, Xautoconfig will do its best to
generate a working XF86Config file for your machine, without asking you for
pesky details. :)
What it does it take the resolution you started up with (xres, yres and depth)
and setup X to run with those parameters. This is not ment to be a tool for
advanced users, but rather beginners who just want it to work. :)

New in this release:
Renamed Xautoconfig to Xautoconfig3.
Some minor changes to Xautoconfig3 (compiler warning fixes, should be happy
with 2.4)
Create Xautoconfig4.
Create /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 so both X 3.3.x and 4.0.x can co-exist.
Try to support Rage128, Mach64, C&T 6555x, IMS, Matrox and 3dfx[1] with
native drivers, all others under the generic fbdev driver.
Use built-in modelines[2] instead of generating.
Support Wheel-mice.
Supports only the 1st found video card[3].
This has been tested on G4s (Yikes! and Sawtooth), B&W revB and iMac revA
currently. This should work fine on any machine which has been reported to
work with X4. If it doesn't please let me know privately.

You can get Xautoconfig 0.9 from:
http://dev.linuxppc.org/~trini
ftp://dev.linuxppc.org/users/trini/Xautoconfig-0.9
The binary RPMs will only work on "modern" systems which have a working
rpm 3.0.6.
As root:
rpm --rebuild Xautoconfig-0.9-1.src.rpm
rpm -Uvh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/ppc/Xautoconfig-0.9-1.ppc.rpm
If you don't have rpm 3.0.6 installed.

[1] - This all depends on where you get your X 4 packages. Not all packages
support all these cards.
[2] - Modelines for iMac and older PB G3s are included. If any other machines
need a specific modeline to work, email me privately.
[3]- While X 4.0.x can use multiple cards, providing this functionallity is
slightly more tricky. If anyone adds this I'll look it over. :)

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/