Re: What's the deal with bootstrap (can't find YDL to boot now)?

Subject: Re: What's the deal with bootstrap (can't find YDL to boot now)?
From: Marc Stergionis (stermarc@home.com)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 16:03:06 MST

Sometime around Wednesday 07 November 2001 03:37, Timothy A. Seufert pounded
out this ditty:
> At 1:30 PM -0700 11/7/01, Marc Stergionis wrote:
> >OH, yeah ... and referring to Bo's earlier note, I *was* getting errors on
> >two of my swap partitions, /hda16 & /hda17
> >
> >I was able to mkswap /dev/hda16 and alleviate *that* part on the next
> > boot.
> >
> >But attempting
> >
> >mkswap /dev/hda17
> >
> >got: "No such file or directory"

> There is no /dev entry for hda17, that's why you get the error. By
> default block devices are limited to device node entries for the
> whole disk (e.g. /dev/hda) and 15 partitions.
>
> For IDE devices there is space in the major/minor device number
> allocation for up to 63 partitions, so you can try creating a device
> node for hda17. /dev/hda16 is major 3 minor 16, so as root, execute
> the following command:
>
> mknod /dev/hda17 b 3 17
>
> and for #18:
>
> mknod /dev/hda18 b 3 18
>
> so on and so forth, up to a maximum of 63.

> Which brings up a question: is there a reason why you want to have
> two or more swap partitions on the same disk? It doesn't seem likely
> to gain you anything over having a single large swap partition.

I thought I read that Linux only allows swap partitions of up to 256MB -- and
I only have one drive. This G4 has 768MB of RAM and I wasn't about to make
swap totaling 3x my RAM, but I figured I'd at least equal it. But maybe I
don't need that much swap??

-ms