Re: YD 2.1 and network connection

Subject: Re: YD 2.1 and network connection
From: Nathan A. McQuillen (nm@steaky.dhs.org)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 20:19:10 MST

HA!! Thought that would do it. See, there's theory, then there's the way
things really work... ;) So.

My suggestion in this case is simply to set up your box with a static IP
that's within the subnet your router wants for client machines (usually
192.168.0.something) -- my router/firewall has pretty easy tools for
specifying the address range it leases to DHCP machines, I just set the
static hosts outside that range so nothing gets assigned a duplicate ID
and rock.

Much easier -- just set the machine up as if it had a "real" static IP.

You might have netcfg installed, i don't know if the stock YDL 2.1
includes it but I don't see why it wouldn't -- that'll be the easiest way
to set stuff up. You can start X as root and use the config tools there,
or use Linuxconf if you have it. Sorry to be unhelpful but this is one
area where my system has been heavily doctored and I don't recall the
default configuration.

If you want to do it manually, set up /etc/sysconfig/network,
/etc/HOSTNAME, /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/networks, and
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (unless you're using a different
eth device). I think that's all of 'em. Then of course you want to reload
networking and all that, might be easier to just reboot since you're not
on line yet.

Hope that helps.

- N2