Re: DHCP Networking in YDL 2.0 (NOT!)

Subject: Re: DHCP Networking in YDL 2.0 (NOT!)
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 21:18:47 MST

At 5:49 PM -0800 11/7/01, Mark Jaffe wrote:
>Once again, I beseech all members for a solution to the dilemma I face.
>When connecting to the internet through the AirPort base station ethernet
>link, YDL obtains a useless DHCP address that will not connect to any
>known IP address. All my MacOS machines which share this base-station
>either wireless or through the hub have functional connections, so this is
>a shortcoming ONLY of YDL. I am getting no help from TerraSoft on this.
>Anyone care to offer a hint?

Hard to say without knowing more information about what's going on.
Can other computers on your LAN ping the YDL box? Can it ping them?
Is its IP address coming up in the range you'd expect it to?

One thing to try: RedHat based distributions (YDL included, at least
as of 2.0) tend to default to using the "pump" DHCP client. I've
personally had nothing but trouble with pump, and have had good luck
deinstalling it ("rpm -e pump") so the system will fall back on the
alternative "dhcpcd" client when attempting to configure a network
interface with DHCP. Make sure dhcpcd is installed before doing this
("rpm -q dhcpcd"), and install it from the CD if necessary.

--
Tim Seufert